Yellows keep Jubilee Cup race open

Yellows keep Jubilee Cup race open

A dominant first half against College Old Boys has Feilding Yellows in with a sniff of defending their Jubilee Cup for the first round of McDonalds Manawatu Senior One club rugby.

Yellows won the match against the previously unbeaten table-toppers 31-21, crucially denying COB a bonus point.

With COB facing a week nine bye, Yellows have a chance to draw level on competition points with a four-try bonus point and their win on the weekend would give them the tiebreaker to retain the cup.

COB will be ruing a missed opportunity considering they turned down a penalty kick on fulltime which would have clinched the bonus-point.

If they had of managed to recover a bonus point from the match, it would have capped off a remarkable recovery having been 31-0 down at halftime.

Apart from a couple of breaks from Andre Taylor and James Tofa, COB looked rattled early on by Yellows’ forward pack.

They dominated the scrum and were winning key penalties which kept COB on the back foot.

Things really came undone for COB when they conceded a penalty try from a scrum in the 20th minute, losing flanker Johnny Galloway in the process to a yellow card.

Within one minute, hooker Cory Purton joined him on the sideline with a yellow card after his involvement in a scuffle.

Yellows were quick to capitalise with a try to Josiah Maraku, the sole try COB conceded with 13 men on the park.

Once COB were restored to 15 men, Yellows struck again as Harry Jones was the benefactor from a rolling maul try.

Just before halftime, Maraku picked off a Stewart Cruden pass to score under the sticks and push out to a 31-0 lead.

As Yellows rolled their subs in the second half, COB started to wrestle control of the match.

Without Luke Clarke on the field, the Yellows scrum struggled to find the dominance at set piece.

While COB plugged away and looked handy for their three-unanswered second half tries, they couldn’t pick up the crucial bonus point they needed.

Old Boys-Marist were convincing in their 23-5 win over Kia Toa.

Tries were hard to come by for both teams, but OBM managed two to Ben Werthmuller and Hunter Waller.

Werthmuller was particularly impressive, as was Matene Ruawai.


Leading 20-0 at halftime and with the dominant scrum, OBM clung on in the second half and benefited from Hayden Hill’s control from first five-eighth.

Kia Toa did manage to pull one try back to win the second half.

Varsity and Freyberg played under lights at Massey University on Friday night with the former romping home for a 66-5 win.

The Sky Blues had far too much attacking prowess.

Te Rangatira Waitokia was the chief destroyer, while Ueta Tufuga and Korie Winters were also strong on attack.

While Freyberg may have conceded a host of tries, they did manage to turn on one of the match’s more impressive efforts as Tremaine Ashford-Thompson latched onto a cross-field grubber.

Feilding 31 (Josiah Maraku 2, Harry Jones tries; Brad Carr pen, 3 con) College OB 21 (Johnny Galloway, Stewart Cruden, Michael George, penalty tries; Cruden 3 con) HT 31-0.

OB-Marist 23 (Ben Werthmuller, Hunter Waller tries; Hayden Hill 3 pen, 2 con) Kia Toa 5 (Moleli Mauola try) HT 20-0.

Varsity 66 (Korie Winters 2, Te Rangitira Waitokia 2, Mickey Woolliams 2, Flyn Yates, Regan Sword, Ueta Tufuga, Jayden Falcon tries; Cody Hemi 6, Scott Davidson 2 con) Freyberg 5 (Tremaine Ashford-Thompson try) HT 48-5.

No video selected.